As the proprietor of an E-Commerce business, you know you wear many hats in a day; from marketer, to analyst, to boss, to researcher – and much more. So, it makes perfect sense to look for ways to streamline your daily operations.
Most successful e-commerce business owners know that saving time, money and manpower can help increase business growth, promote sales, improve customer satisfaction and ultimately, create longstanding business success.
And software companies have listened and then answered the needs of these business owners by offering a variety of management products, including inventory management software, which automates the tracking process of inventory levels, orders, sales and deliveries.
Management inventory software quickly organizes inventory data, which can help you avoid potential problems, such as running out of product or having too much of something you can’t sell.
There are many advantages to using inventory management software, such as:
- Inventory Control – Keeps up with supply and demand by monitoring fluctuating inventory levels in real time. This helps prevent product shortages and overages by tracking orders and deliveries using a barcode or other criteria, such as radio-frequency identification (RFID or wireless tracking technology,
- In-Depth Reporting – Creates in-depth reports that help you decide to continue offering an item, to run a clearance sale or to order more of an item, for example. There is no more guesswork involved and you get the information you need quickly and simply.
- Cost Tracking – Tracks costs associated with expenditures and inventory in order to aid in the proper pricing of products in the marketplace. Increases efficiency which maximizes your ROI, which is the aim of every business operator.
- Warehouse Organization – Optimizes warehouse organization, saving time and manpower, and ultimately, money. Whether the warehouse is brick and mortar, or virtual, all personnel involved will know exactly what’s there – and what isn’t.
- Streamlines Daily Operations – Inventory management software can smooth company-wide operations, because using one system to store inventory data makes it easier for everyone to learn the system. It also makes it much faster to train new employees who must use the system, too.
Although the cons are much fewer, they are important factors you must consider:
- High Price – The high price of inventory management software can be a main disadvantage that most small businesses grapple with; add to that the additional expense of barcode readers and other necessary hardware, and it can add up to a bundle. One way to take advantage of the cost is if you have several employees or departments that can share equipment, such as barcode readers, for example.
- Learning Curve – It’s not easy to learn how to use most inventory management software programs. The inventory manager must be willing to spend time getting to know both the hardware and its accompanying software. They will also need to understand how to implement and use it, as well as make the proper adjustments to work best with your particular inventory. In addition, they’ll have to know how to train others to use it, too.
Whether or not you choose to use inventory management software depends on many factors; however the main one is the size of your business.
If you only sell a limited amount of inventory, manual methods using a spreadsheet will work just fine for you. However, if you have a large inventory, or plan to increase your inventory as time progresses, inventory management software is an effective tool. Although there’s an initial investment of time and money, the savings in stress, time, effort, manpower and money are well worth it in the long run.
Yogesh Mankani has extensive experience as an inventory software consultant. He enjoys sharing his knowledge on various business blogs. Learn about Amazon shipping software solutions, visit the link.